This page contains news, event information, and other items added by the market managers.
Segway Jesus at Pride (and Tuesday happy hour at the Bar Durham)
Happy Monday after a fun-filled weekend! It was great hanging out with friends celebrating NC Pride. Pride has been my favorite event in Durham since I was a high school student at NCSSM. Durham is such a great to live and I’m so glad I found a place where it’s expected that we just be ourselves. My top sights probably included Jesus on a Segway and a student from UNC’s LGBTQ center who had a sign that said “My Feminism will be Intersectional or it will be Bullshit.”
If you’d like to keep the Pride party going, come join homesteader Dr. Julie Gauthier (of Chickcharney farm) and I at The Bar Durham 5-7 (or so?) on Tuesday. Known as the triangle’s only lesbian bar, The Bar is actually a family friendly Tiki Bar with a clientele as diverse as Durham itself. Porchetta food truck will be there out front starting around 6pm.
The Bar was a big sponsor of NC Pride and hosted a lot of really fun events. It’s great that they’re also a supporter of local farms and start-up food businesses, so place an order by noon today and come hang out with us tomorrow!
With soil organic matter and clay under my fingernails,
Awesome links from the past week
In case you don’t follow us on Facebook, there were a lot of cool articles and videos that filtered through social media this week. Check ’em out:
• More women finding passion as farmers, USA Today – link
• CFSA Farm Tour video, featuring Sweet Beet City Farm, Homegrown City Farm and upcoming vendor, Bull City Farm! – link
• Durham’s DIY district turns another corner, News & Observer, on Fullsteam and Rigsbee Avenue – link
• The Paradise Garden Project – link
I joined a great roundtable on sustainable gardening Saturday. A podcast from the event will be forthcoming. Be sure to check out the exhibit! It’s got work by vendors, Lee Attracting Birds and Bees as well as Maryah Smith-Overman of Homegrown City farm.
• The “Garden of Earthly Delights” closing reception at the Carrack will be a tasty event with lots of local food bloggers preparing some decadent delights. Saturday October 5th, 7pm at 111 W. Parrish St.